About Me

My photo
Half way up a mountain, Utah, United States

Monday, July 12, 2010

At Jilleys

It was so cosy at jill's that I couldn't bear to leave and it felt right to stay another day. My body needed a day of proper rest and it was not hard to persuade Mick of this.

The true meaning of home comforts is really apparent when they have been missing for even a short period of time. It felt so wonderful to laze around on the couch, put my feet up, put a load of clothes in the washing machine, make my latte in the morning, watch TV or use the Internet at my leisure and above all, be with my family.

I also wanted to stay for the annual village fête. Bill Bryson in his little video clip on my Facebook page mentions these wonderful events of British village culture and I had been trying to explain them to Curt before I left. Now I had the opportunity to experience one and take some pictures

Jill and Steve live in Herefordshire on the border of south wales, close to Ross-on-Wye, in a little village called Weston under Penyard. Their centuries old stone cottage sits on Ponts Hill surrounded by a beautiful English garden.


Edie is my gorgeous niece, almost two and extremely special in many ways.



The village fête was everything and more than expected. The village vicar was in attendance, proudly reading out the grand prize raffle winners over the loud speaker. There we races for the children, stalls with tombolas, tin can targets, lucky dips, hoopla, skittles, guess the bear's birthday, cake and bakes etc, etc All this while the brass band merrily played on in the back ground providing a wonderful atmosphere. So glad to know these wonderfully simple and quintessentially English events have survived this modern age of computers and video games. There you go Curt, that is a typical English fête.









'In England, we relax by guessing the weight of a pig, throwing a ring over a jar of chutney, and thinking it's wonderful if it's not raining'
By Miles Kington

By 3:00pm the fête was clearing out because of the World Cup. We cleared out too and watched England loose disappointingly to Germany 4:1. That is the end of the world cup for both USA and England. Crap.

We spent the rest of the evening drinking those wickedly strong Belgian beers again, looking at pictures and ended up with Jill and I having a cry and reminiscing about Dad.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying your posts-so colorful, so much fun to hear your responses to your familiar places. And fun to see you visit your niece. I'm glad you're doing it. Hope you are feeling well. Don S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like all is still going well as I too sit on the couch, watch the telly - and get used to Canada again.
    Thought you might fing this interesting.
    http://www.landsendjohnogroats.info/walking_tips/maps.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. I have been responding but they don't seem to be posting. Signed in another way so we will see if this works. Don S, so glad you are following and yes I am feeling very well!

    ReplyDelete

Followers