About Me

My photo
Half way up a mountain, Utah, United States

Monday, July 19, 2010

Day 32: Crowden to Diggle.

Thankfully my feet were a little better when I awoke and I was able to get to breakfast without using the elevator!

I had only made vague plans to meet up with my friends again but as I hobbled up to where the trail started, there they were, with amazing timing. At the same time it started to rain again.

On with the waterproofs that aren't waterproof at all.

FYI - I am wearing all Patagonia stuff, their gortex equivalent, which seems to be utter crap. Don't buy it.

Lessons learnt from yesterday were to follow the map, set compass bearings and know where I am at all times, even when on a well defined trail. Because you never know when the trail will disappear or when the mist will descend.

I know, I know.....I have scoffed at this in the past, but it is essential here and now I am actually finding it fun to map read.

So I strode (hobble fading) out in front of my posse (Sarah, Heather and Martin) leading the way up the misty valley. Yesterday had taken me by surprise but I knew what to expect today. I was already starting to understand this trail.



We had a view initially but that quickly changed and it was more of yesterday. Bleak, baron and isolated moorland with driving rain, howling winds and yes...mist.

It is quite amusing actually to meet fellow hikers (not many of them mind you) walking the opposite direction. They appear suddenly out of the mist, a couple of feet in front of you, water pouring off their hoods, noses, chins, down their backs and fluorescent back pack covers, mud streaking up their legs as they battle side ways in the wind and pass with a nonchalant "good morning" like all is quite normal.


Martin however was a little grumpy and questioning quite rightly why he was doing this. His wife reminded him it was because he loved her and she wanted to do it.

Although some views would have been nice, I was still enjoying the experience of it all. For me the weather is part and parcel of this experience and synonymous with the moors. Anything else would not have been right.


Then we arrived at Snoopy's snack van and Martin was happy too.


Two rounds of tea for all us and a cake for me. The rain also conveniently stopped for us to enjoy this treat.

Everyone was at the snack shack. You get to know fairly quickly who is walking the trail with you as you meet up with them sporadically, at various stopping points. As far as I can tell there is only Sarah and I, three Yorkshire lads with their dog and one lone guy doing the entire trail, and on my schedule - so to speak (Martin and Heather are doing a two day package deal and are done today). It was like we were old buddies as we delighted over our mugs of tea and discussed our destination points.

But then I had to suffer the consequences of frequent pee stops which is incredibly awkward in this situation - rain, pack on back etc.

However, Lone guy had eaten a cheese burger and stated how much he regretted this as we stormed past him on the trail.

The weather had lifted somewhat and I was starting to dry out.


At the road to Diggle, Sarah and I turned left and Martin and Heather turned right to get picked up and taken back to their B&B. They were done.

I had called ahead and reserved a spot in the same B&B as Sarah because actually, this was the only place available. It poured with rain as we approached Diggle and we arrived soaking wet.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers