About Me

My photo
Half way up a mountain, Utah, United States

Monday, July 19, 2010

Day 28: Welshpool to Four corners

I assume you have figured out by now that I am only numbering the walking days. Not sure why I am doing it this way but this is how I started so I will continue.

We actually spent a couple of days in Capel Curig in self catering accommodation pre booked by Jill many months ago. It was wonderful to spend time with family and get to know my cousins after all these years. We vowed that this was the first of many reunions.

Cousins:



Curt then drove us back to Mick's in LLandudno, we left the rental car there and took a train back to Welshpool to pick up the Offa's dyke trail about ten miles north of Montgomery.


It was now time to walk with Curt and Ivan and it was so wonderful to finally have them with me. I desperately wanted them to understand and feel all that I was experiencing.

From the train station at Welshpool we quickly found the footpath to rejoin the Offa's Dyke trail.

I was sporting a brand new back pack with a few necessary additions, such as pockets and a hydration bag. Ivan was now using my back pack and a pair of my old boots as he walked down the tow path of the canal, kicking the football along. Within minutes the boots were killing him. He changed to his little boat shoes and then eventually walked the next five miles or so in bare feet. And looked a little bizarre as you can tell in this picture.


We left the canal and followed the trail along the Severn river. It was here amongst the fields of cows that Ivan decided he needed shoes. Curt had fortunately brought a spare pair, which Ivan ended up wearing for the rest of the walking. Three sizes too big, but better Ivan thought than having cow poop squelch between your toes.

It was an easy, flat day of walking today and we arrived at the B&B ten miles later still relatively happy.

This was a very posh B&B, in big Georgian house with an equestrian centre, fuzzy, dead animals for blankets and bath robes for use after a dip in the deluxe corner tubs. Not really a typical English B&B experience to initially expose my boys too but fun never the less and Ivan made the most of it.

Let me introduce Ivan Hefner:


We joined another fellow boarder for the evening and got a cab together to the local pub for dinner and drinks.

A successful day by all accounts. Ivan is happy and seems to be enjoying himself despite the fact he cannot understand why we would want walk all day long for fun.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Followers