About Me

My photo
Half way up a mountain, Utah, United States

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day five: Portreath or Perranporth

The "Upper Deck" pub is filling up and getting very raucous. My stomach is full of veggie lasagna and filling up with my second pint of Doom Bar.

Feeling great, considering how awful I felt when I arrived at Perranporth about noon today.

Left the farmers field at 5:00 this morning and got started on the path early. I was very aware that I was moving slowly and blisters were forming on my feet. I changed my socks yesterday, which was probably a mistake. I seem to do better with thin liner socks, anything else rucks up inside my boots.

I am now sporting a multitude of different shaped plasters of varying thicknesses all over my toes. My worst blisters are on the bottom of my toes and not sure how to dress those. My big toe nails are both black and blue. This could be a real problem.



Yesterday the SWCP had been like a road running along the top of the cliff
and today it was pretty similar but more up and down, as it dipped down into coves and back up again. The weather was fantastic with beautiful blue skies but cool enough to need a Smart Wool layer.

Today was a little bit of a walk down memory lane for me. Most of our early family holidays took place in Wales. Unlike most London families we would spend our summer holiday's not on the beach, but climbing mountains in Wales -I went up Snowdon (the highest mountain in Wales at 3560 ft!) when I was five. This was my introduction to the mountains, I loved them then and still do. Anyway, when I was about thirteen (i suppose she would have been about my age now), mum decided she no longer wanted to walk and we joined the masses of holiday makers on the beaches of Cornwall. We then spent our time at these beaches that I was walking over today.

I walked down into Chappel Porth cove (below)


And saw up the hill, the cottage I had stayed in with Sharon and her family. Then tried to spot the cave that my sister and I had sheltered in during a big thunder storm in the early 80's. For some reason this occasion was significant enough for me to remember. In the cave was a mother with her child and she was showing the little girl how to make a fire and light it. Jill and I both looked at each other and said when we had children we would bring our children up like this.

Hmmm...I don't think I have ever shown Ivan how to make a fire and light it and don't think I have ever been in a cave with him, but perhaps this summer if he comes out to join me?

Speaking of Ivan, I should take a second to explain why Curt did not end up coming out with me. It will be brief, because this all seems like history now and I have more immediate experiences to blog about.

So 24 hours before I left, curt was still coming and we were all packed and ready to go. We were traveling on buddy passes (stand-by) and having had previous wonderful experiences on them (traveling first class) I had not considered the fact that it was summer and things may be different. Well this was the case and there was no room on any flights to london.

Parental responsibilities overwhelmed us and Curt decided he could not risk not being able to get back for July 10th to pick Ivan up after his trip to California. Curt decided not to go. Initially I was disappointed, then relieved as Curt would now be at home to take care of Ivan, then panicked when I thought about the prospect of doing this alone.

I did consider not going myself. But as Deb pointed out, I had a lot of people living vicariously through my blogs and I could not disappoint - I think part of the reason I am writing this blog (keeps me accountable). I did however also consider living incognito for three months, in some form of disguise and just make up fabulous blogs about all of my adventures. Indeed I may have done this if I had thought my imagination good enough.

Anyway I landed in Amsterdam and caught a British airways flight to London City airport. Where? Had never heard of this airport but it took a beautiful flight path over London with fantastic views, touching down on a landing strip in the middle of the Thames. I had landed in the East London dock lands and that is where my London blog starts.

Things are getting wilder in this pub by the minute. Every one is dancing, clapping, stomping their feet and singing to "I'm a wanker" - a particularly lovely song! Just realized that it's Friday night. Which means tomorrow is Saturday 12th, which means that England vs U.S World Cup match on.

I had better get back to my tent and get some sleep so I can get to my next destination tomorrow in time to watch the game.

So quickly let me finish off about today.

The route finding was really pretty obvious but I think I have also become SWCP savvy. I am in synch with the path and can now generally recognize which path I should take - weird. I also take short cuts whenever possible and recognized one today when I saw the tide was out in one of the coves and rather than go up and over the cliff I went over the beach. It was a little tricky, as the rocks were covered in slippery sea weed and scary sea creatures - so once again, my walking stick came in handy to steady me. The path generally followed spectacular cliff edges with sheer rock faces plummeting down to the sea. Remote rocky coves and caves lay far below, a haven for by-gone smugglers to stash their pirated loot.







As I turned the corner and saw Perranporth beach stretched before me, I started to cry. Have absolutely no reason why, other than the fact I was exhausted, my feet were killing me and I was listening to a particularly stirring rendition of Amazing Grace by Susan Boyle (i know, a little embarrassing to admit but she does have a fantastic voice) on my Ipod. That was the last time I remember having my Ipod. I think I have lost it and I am gutted. I feel as though I have lost a friend and I am not sure how I will do without it. It must have fallen out of my pocket :(


I have got a cold and I never get colds. Better get some sleep now.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Beach Rd,,United Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers