About Me

My photo
Half way up a mountain, Utah, United States

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Day nine: Padstow to Porth Issac

I really enjoyed my stay on the Freyja and entered into some lively conversations last night (especially after G & T) on all sorts of topics, such as:

Faeries and knockers:

Faery is the old way of spelling fairy. Legend has it that faeries used to be men going around on horses, absconding fair maidens and then taking them down to the bottom of the sea where they become mermaids.

"Come live by the brave moon
That pulls the strong tide,
Climb up in my horse love
And be my sweet bride"

Of course Cornwall is rife with folklore. Looking up faeries on the internet just brought up images of the typical fairy, called a Piskie here in Cornwall. These creatures were small, prankish, laughing and heel kicking, usually good spirited and liked to pick their noses. The knockers (and I am not referring to large mammary glands) were special Piskies that lived down the tin mines and would warn (by knocking) the miners of danger.

Personally, I like the sound of the male faeries on horses

Cornish pasties:



It was once said that the Devil would never dare to cross the River Tamar into Cornwall for fear of ending up as a filling in a Cornish Pasty.

Cornish pasties go back centuries, when miners wives would pack their husband up a pasty for lunch. It was a hearty meal usually filled with beef and potatoes. The big crust around the edge acted as a handle so they could hold onto the pasty with their dirty hands and then throw the crust to the Knockers.

Gardening:

The type of gardening Marilyn does has a name but can't remember it right now. But the idea is you don't have to dig but continue to lay down mulch in varying thicknesses (dependent on the size of the plant) on top of the soil and allow the worms to take it on down. The microorganisms like it because they go undisturbed, the worms like it because they don't get chopped in half by your spade and I would like it because it seems so much less work. The mulch keeps the soil cool and moist and can be any thing from weed free garden clippings, leaves, grass clippings, card board and even cotton T shirts.

Thinking I could grow a great organic garden in my socks right now. They are in the process of turning to mulch.

I left on the ferry over the Camel estuary from Padstow to Rock after going to Rick Steins for breakfast. Guess he is a famous TV chef over here (a Gordon Ramsey) and I had been hearing about his cafe from various people.

The ferry ride was short but beautiful and offered great views of the "Doom Bar" a bar of sand at the entry to the estuary responsible for many a ship wreck. Apparently the Mermaid of Padstow created this doom bar and being a little upset about something (forgotten what), lured ships onto it. But more importantly it is the name of Curt's favourite beer and had he been here we would be taking a diversion to their brewery in Rock to celebrate Curts birthday. Really wishing that Curt was here and feel guilty that he is not here to experience this with me :(

Curt this the Doom bar all covered in water, but I am here!



I walked for a few hours enjoying the absolutely beautiful weather and then stopped to eat my Cornish pasty (featured above - and of course veggie) After lunch, I was sort of sprawled out over the path in my usual exhausted way when Mike came along and almost tripped over me.

Mike was the first person I have met so far going my way. Most people are out walking small sections of the SWCP, a few are going long distances but all are going in the opposite direction.

So, with a common goal, we joined forces and walked together to Port Isaac. Mike is travelling light, doing bed and breakfasts and sending his bag on to his next destination. I camped down the road in "Anne's" field and felt like i had arrived at "Old Macdonalds Farm" with chickens clucking, peacocks screaming, sheep bah-ing and cows mooing. Then I went back up to his bed and breakfast " the crows nest for dinner and drinks with mike.

Seaside village of Port Issac:








Annie's farm:





Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Bude,United Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers