About Me

My photo
Half way up a mountain, Utah, United States

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Day seven: Crantock to Treyarnon

"Set out into the unknown and the universe will a take care of you"

That is what Tim said today and I believe him.

Tim was my knight in shining armour (wet suit) and I was the damsel in distress.

I was stuck on the banks of the Gannel tidal estuary. Yesterday it had been a big beach to walk across but this morning it was a massive body of water. There was supposed to be a ferry and a foot bridge but there were no signs of either. I had followed the coastal path to where it entered the water with a sign post pointing across it to Newquay. I was confused and sat down to ponder over this problem


That is when Tim showed up on his horse (surf board) and agreed that I was stuck but then offered me a lift over.



I sat on the surf board with my pack balancing on the front and crossed my fingers that we wouldn't capsize. I wasn't concerned for my own safety but for all my technology within the pack, that would be ruined if it tipped into the gannel. But my knight in a wet suit swam gallantly across the Gannel, steadily pushing the surf board and delivered all of me safely to the other side.




Tim was not only my rescuer but a lovely, wise human who provided therapy (something I am always in need of), practiced meditation and Tai Chi and was a wealth of psychological support for me. Amazingly enough he went out with a girl from Ogden, had skied the Cottonwood canyons and knew Utah well.

I learnt that my blisters were more about my psychological state and that something was out of balance (true - my pack has made me continually out of balance for the last seven days). My bunions that were formed in the womb meant I never really wanted to come into this world and that if I took charge of my life and not rely on other people they would go away. I had not known that this trip would also rid me of my horrible bunions - fantastic. I learnt that it was a twelve moon year and that hopefully meant better weather than the thirteen moon years.

We agreed that if you can accept the worst case scenario in your life then life becomes easy. The key is acceptance.

Tim also provided me with a cup of tea, a guide book for the coastal path ( what a novel idea!), filtered water for my bottle recommending I should be sipping every ten minutes (this would avoid the constant need to pee caused by chugging water), a nutritious fruit bar, a book "The Alchemist" to read and then drove me to other side of Newquay to avoid the walk through town. Also, I left a pile of now unwanted gear (stove, billies, knife, fork, various clothes) with him to send back to my sister, Jill.

I was renewed by this perfectly wonderful and timely encounter, and felt sure that the universe was taking care if me. I walked with a smile on my face and laughed out loud when I stopped to pee on the path and Tom Waits via my iPod, with perfect timing, told me "don't be caught with your drawers down".

The beautiful weather turned to rain for about an hour in the afternoon and justified my stay at Treyarnon youth hostel. I had met a couple of ladies on the path, Ros and Jean and ended bunking down in their dorm. I was so tired in the evening, went to bed early and slept wonderfully in my cozy bunk bed.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Bude,United Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers