About Me

My photo
Half way up a mountain, Utah, United States

Friday, June 25, 2010

Day twelve: Crackington Haven to Upton

Awoke at 4:30 and had to make the same decision about striking out on my own. Let's see, I could get on the trail early, walk alone with my heavy pack and remain clueless of my destination until I arrived. Or I could stay here for a few more hours, have breakfast in the pub, walk with Mike and stay in his next b&b and sleep in a bed tonight.

I decided on the latter.

At breakfast we picked up a couple more lost souls. We sat around the breakfast table, all four of us on a quest to find answers to our happiness. Amazingly (although this seems to be the norm now) there was another Ali, walking for a few days and finding solace along the coastal path - a successful treatment for her depression. And then Andy, down here for a few days, on a retreat from oxford and at a cross roads with some life decisions, hoping that some time alone will provide the answers.

The path seemed different today. The cliffs are less rugged and often thickly vegetated down to the sea. Inland the countryside appears more rolling, agricultural with greener tamed fields and grazing animals.







On top of the cliffs, "my" path continues to meander. Mike has a map and GPS and continually stops to check his location and confirm our direction. I on the other had, without such tools have learnt to "read" the path and seem to instinctively know where it goes or if I have strayed. I am very happy to know that it is possible for me to develop a new sensory skill at this age and confirms to me that modern technologies have only served to take us away from our natural capabilities. So fun to tap back into these primeval human skills. I have always been in awe at those stories of dogs that travel thousands of miles back to their homes when lost and now I am beginning to understand a little better how that may be possible!

Mike and I make a good team. He has a fantastic sense of humour and regales me with non stop funny stories about his life. He is also an avid reader with a wealth of knowledge on just about every subject. So I consider him my teacher. I lead him along the path with my intuitive beacon and in turn teach him about the importance of putting out a good aura around animals so we can walk calmly and safely through the various farm animals we encounter.

Of course it doesn't take too much initiation to follow this path


Or these steps leading off the side of the cliff



But back to something way more important - both US and England play again today in the world cup so it wanted to be situated in a pub again to watch the matches.

USA were playing early so we stopped at the only pub along the way at Widemouth. Andy now needing some company and seeing mike as a bit of a guru in the field of chi gong (something he wants to pursue) joined us via automobile. USA drew in a very boring match but we had a pleasing meal and drinks before Andy drove us about a mile to our next b&b.

Apparently I am Celtic in origin because my second toe is longer than my big toe. Both Andy and Mike agreed I was like queen Boudicca and am happy with that association. When I feel low and lack confidence I will remember that I am like the great Boudicca and will gain strength from this.

Wish I could enlarge and turn this picture of Boudicca around - but oh well you get the idea.



We all decided to stay at the b&b for the night as it was splendid. A quintessential English b&b complete with ducks and geese, Shetland ponies and alpaca's that looked like overgrown poodles. TVs in every room and in the lounge where we watched the next terrible match England vs Algeria.
Mike even had a bath in his room but it was more like an extra large sink perfect for Cornish pixies or knockers. My room had a shower with a poorly placed step that I stubbed my toe on without fail every time I entered the bathroom. All rooms had kettles with selections of coffees, tea and hot chocolate. And I had a fantastic view out over the paddocks to the animals below.

Poodles:



I want this place, I have decided. Found out it was for sale for a mere £1.2 k. Perhaps not this place then, but I would love to have a small holding, be self sufficient and quite fancy the idea of a b&b. I will have to talk seriously to Curt about this.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers