About Me

My photo
Half way up a mountain, Utah, United States

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day six: World Cup - Perranporth to Crantock

Guess what? Found my Ipod when packing up my stuff this morning. Yippee.

More of the same today i.e. cliffs, beaches, coves, rocks. All wonderfully spectacular of course.

Here is my strange walking companion:


Walking along the beach, although very tempting to avoid the cliffs, is really hard for me. It is monotonous, tough on my feet, I sink in the sand and basically it seems never ending. Surprisingly I do better on the ups and downs

FOOT STEPS IN THE SAND

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with "my strange walking companion". Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.

In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, other times there was one only...........Mary Stevenson, 1936



It felt hard from the beginning again today. I was not particularly motivated to get up and go and when I did, it hurt all over. One too many beers last night and I definitely have a cold. I need to do better at rehydrating - I just looked at my face and it is looking very wrinkly.

So I stopped for a coffee (I know Curt, it's a diuretic!) in a pub conveniently located right on the trail but it was closed. I sulked and he made me a coffee.

An example of a perfect trail, flat, obvious and nicely groomed:



More hazards though. Now I am in danger of getting shot by a stray bullet.


What do you think these are? Are they trying to attract UFO's


The coffee helped tremendously and I was able to keep going. I was heading towards Newquay but on the way, I stopped and talked to a couple who suggested this would not be a good place on a Saturday night, especially a world cup Saturday night. "Too many drunks and yobs" they said "just like you hear on the news". They recommended a pub up on the hill and a campsite not far. I had to back track a little but it sounded like a good idea. I had to ensure a good pub for the match tonight.

I checked in the pub first, no wifi, but plugs and otherwise fantastic. Located on the cliffs, overlooking the bay, in a really cute little village. Then I walked down the road and saw the most perfect campsite yet.





This guy in the village fixes gramophones. He had all sorts of advice on how to get my Wurlitzer fixed in Salt Lake City. I had to come all the way here to this little village in Cornwall to find out this information.


I am sitting in the pub yet again and just waiting for this evening's festivities. This entire country has gone patriotic which is highly unusual. Only football, the national game, can bring England together. The St Georges cross is flying everywhere and even went up over Downing Street this morning. The country has been gripped by world cup fever and the first match is tonight against the USA - brilliant.

Back in the tent now and game is over. A draw 1:1 but I am sure you will all be aware of this by the time this blog goes to press. Sat squeezed in a couch with four other women. Lots of oh's and ah's, cheers and boos, kids and adults dressed in England shirts. But altogether it was a disappointing game. England was obviously the better side but lost because of a goal keeper mistake. USA on the other hand has a great goalie.

I talked to lots of people in the pub and gave out my blog address (people are interested and it makes me very happy!), received many tips such as sewing cotton through blisters, honey on digestive biscuits to boost my calories and of course lots of water (have really tried today and have not drunk any beer)

Don't have cotton for my blisters but did just do minor surgery to pop them and hope this works for tomorrow.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

6 comments:

  1. Ali, I'm sitting at my IMAC catching up on all six days of your adventure. What am I to make of this: you running w/bulls, seeing old boy friends, connecting w/wonderful geezers, showing off your battered feet, sleeping at the cliffs' edge, guzzling up the pints, seeing Britain's coast as it has been seen for the eons. You write like the best of your countrymen. I am on-board w/you, and feel as if I am along for the adventure. Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving hearing all about it (is that english?!). I've heard about cotton for blisters - in fact am going to tell Madeline our eldest about it - she has just returned from a hiking weekend for the Duke of Edinburgh award and has a lot of blisters apparently! Hope you're getting good weather today - gorgeous down in Portsmouth! R xx (as in Rachel F!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Veggie lasagne in a British pub! Happy to know you are getting all kinds of veggie options..Talked to Benny the other day..things are looking up. Sent him the link to your blog as well. Must feel good knowing we all wait for the next one to post..I am living vicariously:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If feel like I'm along for the rip Ali while reading your blog, except I don't have the blisters and everything I eat and drink goes to my waist! One of these days I AM going to walk 'across England'. I'll keep trying to call you and maybe one of these days I'll get through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ali, I so wish I could see the sights and views that you are seeing. Please upload as many pictures as possible. I want to go to England so badly. I really believe I should have been born in England. Even though I am a die hard U.S. soccer fan right now.
    Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. you might want to try witch hazel on your feet @ night if you can find any - theoretically it helps your skin get tougher and less blister-y. (I'm enjoying the ride too - got Joyce hooked today as well!) - t

    ReplyDelete

Followers