About Me

My photo
Half way up a mountain, Utah, United States

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 38 Horton in Ribblesdale to Hawes


Lesley really reminds me of mum because she laughs a lot. Mum would laugh until tears streamed down her face and this must be genetic because actually, all of us Bonner sisters have inherited this gene - especially when together.


We had breakfast back in the Pen-y-Ghent cafe and I had more butter with crumpets and another tea in a gallon mug.

Lesley left the cafe and promptly searched for her car outside so she could put her sandwich in it. I had to remind her that she was now carless and directed her back to her rucksack, the necessary place for her sandwich.

We laughed about this too.

It was fifteen miles to our next destination, Hawes. It was a straight forward track, the weather was warm and sunny and it was not necessary to navigate at all. This made it very easy for us to talk and talk we did, for the entire way.


Lesley is eight years older than me, left for uni and then married before I was old enough to really get to know her. I then left for the USA, she had four kids and we were then too far away, wrapped up in separate lives and too busy. So this was a perfect opportunity to make up for lost time.



She had also joined me on a perfect leg of the journey because we reminded each other that we had spent some time together in the past and it was right here, in the Yorkshire Dales. Lesley was nineteen and I would have been eleven and she took me on a road trip to the Dales after she had just got her drivers license (scary, what were our parents thinking?). Neither of us can remember anything about it however, except that I ate white bread and apricot jam for the entire time, a chip shop in Hawes and a difficult three point turn on a dead end road. Funny the things we both remembered. What did we actually do for those few days?



Walking down into the village of Hawes was beautiful and sunny and we already had our destination for the night booked, the Fairfield B&B.






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers