About Me

My photo
Half way up a mountain, Utah, United States

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Day 42: Langdon Beck to Dufton

This day has probably been my most favourite day of walking.

We left Langdon Beck youth hostel with the forecast being all doom and gloom.

And began walking up the remote river valley to follow the River Tees. Through meadows, fields and bogs, over stiles and boulders until we reached the impressive Cauldron Snout. Here the river boils furiously over a narrow rock gorge and we scrambled up the side over rocks polished by the boots of Pennine Wayfarers past.


As the path then ascended over the remote moorlands of the North Pennines and as if mandatory for this landscape, the forecasted mists and rains descended.

It was at this point, huddled under my hood, listening to the constant swish of rain trousers and confined to my own thoughts, that I decided not to eat any more veggie sausages. I am now officially fed up of English breakfasts veggie style. The veggie sausages eaten this morning were now playing havoc on my stomach. Yes, tomorrow I would have muesli and may not even have any eggs.

Amazingly as we arrived on top of High Cup Nick the mist and clouds lifted to reveal the most glorious valley I have ever seen. A U shaped valley with a river snaking its way along the bottom and into the distant mists. The valley sides rose smoothly up in a carpet of green with swaths of grey scree, to an impressive cliff that horseshoed it's way around the rim. As the mist lifted further we could see in the distance the eastern mountains of the Lake district and the Vale of Eden spread before us.








Looking back




The sun came out and the views remained as we began the long descent to the beautiful village of Dufton.






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers