About Me

My photo
Half way up a mountain, Utah, United States

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Day 44: Garrigill to Alston

Not much to blog about today.

We were treating this as a rest day and only walked 4 miles down a gentle river path to Alston.





Alston is the highest market town in England, although this is disputed by the inhabitants of Buxton, that also claims this altitude record. So they recently measured it and apparently if you measure where the market is, then Buxton wins but Alston ended up with being higher overall so they feel they ultimately won. I suppose every town could claim to have the highest something....the highest toilet, the highest zebra crossing the highest pig pen etc.





Tomorrow I start on the third and final map of the Pennine Way. Ninety miles left on this trail and I am starting to think of the end.

What shall I do next?

I am holding up incredibly well. In fact, holding up is an understatement because I am feeling better than I have done for years. I was starting to feel old before my years, the arthritis making me stiff, tired and constantly achy. All that has gone, my flexibility has returned, my posture improved and I feel young again. I can squat, get myself up off the floor with ease, clench my fists and I am strong and fit. My arthritis appears to be in remission and I am now only suffering in a minor way from the damage it has already caused. As far as I can tell, I don't seem to be creating any more damage which is of course the danger of this.

For doctors that are reading this blog (and I know there are!) I can recommend this prescription for your patients "Take a long walk".





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers