About Me

My photo
Half way up a mountain, Utah, United States

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Day 41: Baldersdale to Langdon beck

Had the most freshest, most delicious poached eggs for breakfast.

As I walked I thought about the question posed to me over breakfast "Aren't you scared walking alone?". This has been asked of me several times and I can never come up with anything better than "no". So now I was asking myself why.

I think it is because I am generally a positive person and don't believe that any harm will come to me. I don't think walking is particularly hazardous. I have a long history of walking and never get into any problems so I suppose I am also fairly confident. I could get lost or hurt myself but even then I feel I would manage and seek help somehow. I feel these are just the normal hazards I face in every day life. I am lucky because I don't tend to worry about what could happen. I find enough to worry about without getting anxious over the never ending possibilities of what may happen.

Perhaps foolish but I am glad I think this way, otherwise I would not be doing this.

And anyway I was about to have another walking companion. Mick had made last minute plans to join me again. I was going to meet up with him again in Middleton on Teesdale, about seven miles on.

Having always chosen to walk abroad and having completed numerous expeditions to the Himalayas, walking in Britain has never really been on Mick's radar - too tame I suppose.

But now it seems Mick has also been bitten by the long distance walking bug and even here, in Britain.

I really enjoy his company so I am happy to have him along again. Plus he is delivering my weekly shot to me.

One hundred and forty miles into the Pennine way and I am over half way there. Feeling pretty happy about this and my feet, despite feeling bad yesterday seem to have recovered again.


Mick found me hunkered down in a tea room, guzzling tea and engrossed in my James Herriot book (courtesy of last B&B). The Yorkshire Dales is James Herriot country and I always enjoy getting into the spirit of things with a pertinent book.

We walked on together towards Langdon Beck Youth hostel, another seven miles on but down a gentle river path by Low and High falls.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers